Northamptonshire other schemes

Patient Transport Services    

The Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service (NEPTS) is for patients who:   

  • Need to travel to and from an appointment at a hospital or clinic   
  • Are discharged from hospital (and meet the eligibility criteria), or   
  • Need to transfer between centres, and because of their medical condition cannot make their own way.   

Meeting the eligibility criteria for transport   

The criteria that determine whether or not you are eligible for NEPTS have been set by the Department of Health and are based upon whether your medical condition prevents you from travelling by any other means.   

All operators of patient transport are now required to apply these rules, so whilst you may have previously been able to use patient transport this may no longer be the case if you are not deemed eligible.   

Making a booking  

East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) operate the non-emergency patient transport contract within Northamptonshire.   

Individuals can call the EMAS booking line on 0300 300 3434. EMAS will agree to providing transport after assessing an individual’s needs against the criteria.

Further information regarding booking can be found on the EMAS website

Voluntary community cars   

Managed by a mixture of volunteers and charities, community cars can help people to stay independent, participate in their communities and access vital public services and employment. They can help you go shopping, get to medical appointments, visit friends and family or enjoy a day out.   

Most need to be booked in advance and may have eligibility criteria you need to meet.     

Practical things to think about and questions to ask when looking for a community transport provider include:   

  • What type of journey are you making? Some schemes are specific and can only help in certain situations, for example, medical appointments.   
  • Are you eligible to use the scheme?   
  • Does the scheme cover your area? There are many good neighbour volunteer schemes in rural parts of the country which are for people who live in those villages.   
  • How much notice is required to book a trip?    
  • Is there a cost involved?   
  • How to book?   
  • Does it meet any accessibility requirements you have? For example, wheelchairs and scooters or getting in and out of the car.    

West and North Northamptonshire Councils provide a list of various community transport schemes and voluntary community car schemes across the county, which can be browsed via the links below:

Selected voluntary community car schemes 

Brackley Area Volunteer Car Service

For people without access to any transport within Brackley and its surrounding villages, to attend medical appointments.

Contact: 01280 841099

Daventry Area Community Transport Car Scheme

Volunteer drivers use their own cars for appointments at the hospital, health centre, optician or dentist. Costs apply to cover mileage.

Contact: 01327 701665

Moulton Car Scheme

Volunteer drivers will take villagers to and from medical appointments for a nominal charge. This is a service for those who do not drive and cannot use public transport.

Contact: 01604 642202

Northampton Volunteer Car Scheme

This community car scheme provides transport for elderly and disabled people, living in the Borough of Northampton and Grange Park. Services are mainly for medical appointments.

Contact: 01604 628234

Kettering Volunteer Car Service

Voluntary transport for the elderly, disabled, non-car owners and other people in the Borough of Kettering, to and from medical appointments.

Contact: 01933 272735

Oundle Volunteer Car Scheme

Door-to-door car service for people with no reasonable means of transport for health, medical, leisure, shopping and social visits.

Contact: 01832 275433

Rushden Volunteer Car Scheme

Run by Serve’s Voluntary Agency, this car scheme covers people who live in Rushden, Higham Ferrers, Raunds, Irthlingborough, and the surrounding villages. Trips cover hospital appointments in places such as Leicester, Oxford, and Stoke Mandeville, as well as local medical facilities.

Contact: 01933 315555

Companion driving services  

Paid companion driver services should be registered with the local authority in the same way as regular taxis.   

Helping Hands  

Helping Hands focus on tasks such as running errands, grocery shopping and support with social activities.  

Contact: 0333 060 4041  

 Driving Miss Daisy 

 Driving Miss Daisy is a national organisation who have franchises across the region.   

Contact: 0333 014 6211       

Any advice or information given by the Hubs Mobility Advice Service is impartial and correct at the time it is provided. However, as operators may change their services or equipment prior to your journey or booking, you are strongly advised to check any details directly with them shortly before you expect to travel.

Contact your local Hub

Get in touch with the Central England Hub for personal mobility advice and accessible travel information. Your Hub can help with local, national and international accessible travel advice.